Thursday, June 19, 2008

Welcome, Lord Covington Cooper of Cambridge

So, it's been a really long day. And, granted, I don't live in a bombed-out foxhole in Baghdad, so as days go, I suppose when I say "long", it's not that long.

I fetched Husband after work, and sat in miles and miles of traffic on our way to get Lord Covington Cooper of Cambridge (AKA, our new car, a Mini Cooper S Clubman). Yet, we were foiled: Just a mere 10 miles from our destination, the long-suffering BMW tossed a shoe.

Thank god I grew up in the north suburban bedroom community of Reading. We were conveniently located but a mere few miles from family, and placed a plaintive call for help. A Mum-bearing Volvo soon arrived. (Yes people, a 240DL wagon....what would you expect from my Mum?)

Husband went off to collect Lord Covington, and I stayed with the Beemer waiting for AAA.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

Let's just say that no matter how long AAA tells you they will be, they always take at least and hour-and-a-half.

Needless to say, when all was said and done, I was provided for in a most comfortable fashion: Sister fetched me and offered a bottle of a fantastic chardonnay. Mum brought Husband to the car dealership and Lord Covington is now ensconced in our garage. The Beemer is in the capable hands of 128 Tire and Auto (the family mechanic) and shall be serviced accordingly.

All in all, you couldn't ask for a better night.

The hard part is: A day will come when I can't call that phone number and go, "Mum, can you come get me?"

But tonight I could.

No comments: