Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Magic Spurtle

I have NO idea how this happened.

It's not like we grew up in a "sports" household.

I mean, I do seem to recall the background sound of football on Sunday afternoon, accompanied by the smell of roasting chicken. (To this day, the sound of televised football and the smell of roast chicken takes me immediately to 73 Martin Road.)

So, here I am, at 11:30PM on a Saturday night, in the living room of the house I grew up in, with my sister, Mum, Dad, and Husband watching......a Red Sox game.

And my mother is whirling her spurtle.

Oh, silly me.....you don't know what a spurtle is?

So now that you know what one is, picture this: A 73-year-old woman in a 2004 World Series Red Sox baseball hat, whirling a spurtle over her head, like a tiny bat, screaming, "YOUK, YOUK, YOUK".

No comments: