Friday, August 1, 2008

Our Parent's Hidden Lives

So you never know what's going to happen when you Google. And as someone who hates surprises and mysteries, this is problematic. However, Today's Google was to see if my brother was ever listed in association with B-52s (the plane, not the band).

But since they share a name, differentiated by "Sr." vs. "Jr.", I got results for my Dad.

Now, for those of you who know my Dad, he's an inordinately principled, righteous dude. He's humble (except when he's over-explaining something, like, say, geothermal heat exchange systems), has integrity, and well, he's just about the most awesome guy. (I pity Husband. How could he EVER live up to that?)

And well, turns out my Dad was, in his own small way, a civil rights pioneer.

I had always known that both my parents brought us up with a strong sense of right and wrong, of justice, of the value of each human life, but I never knew that he helped to further integration at one of the world's premiere institutions of science and technology.

I'm so proud to be his kid.

Love you, Daddy.

No comments: